At the ALPLA Group, our commitment to sustainability is reflected in our responsible approach and key objectives in three action areas:
People and society: We are conscious of our responsibility towards our employees and their families and we remain mindful of our impact on wider society. Our relationships are characterised by equal opportunities, safe and productive working conditions, fairness, and honesty.
Ecology and environmental impact: We are actively shaping the transformation to a circular economy. We want to generate products that feature the smallest possible ecological footprint and can be re-processed to create new packaging solutions. Our production goals include the efficient handling of resources without any loss of water or reusable materials, the deployment of sustainable and recyclable materials, and the use of renewable energy sources.
Economy and technology: As a family-run company, we pursue a long-term approach in our strategic planning. Far from targeting ‘growth at any price’, our economic activities are based on ensuring the financial strength and stability of our business. Our ability to innovate has always been the foundation of our role as a technology leader. We seek to craft the most sustainable possible solutions in response to a variety of demographic developments, social trends and legal changes.
- Focus on employee needs
- Focus on circular economy
- Resource efficiency
- Small ecological footprint
- Eco-conscious products
- Forward-looking approach
OUR ACTION AREAS
People and society
- We do not tolerate discrimination, sexual harassment, child labour or forced labour under any circumstances.
- We guarantee safe working conditions for all employees and take specific measures to reduce the risk of accidents.
- We provide our employees, apprentices and teaching institutions with training on sustainability-related issues.
- We respond to the key social issues of the day and provide answers to burning questions.
Ecology and environmental impact
- We reduce absolute CO2e emissions through greater energy efficiency or the use of renewable energy sources.
- We cut water loss and reduce waste water to a minimum.
- We prevent material loss through optimised production processes and minimised granulate loss.
- We support production either on the customer site (in-house facilities) or near the customer site (nearby facilities) in order to reduce emissions and conserve resources.
- We support organisations dedicated to protecting the oceans and the environment.
Economy and technology
- We work to implement an efficient circular economy in all disciplines: replace, reduce, reuse, recycle.
- We participate in research and development targeting new packaging materials such as bio-based plastics and biodegradable packaging.
- We optimise new products according to the principles of Design for Recycling and keep our material usage to a minimum (lightweighting).
- We develop new reuse models and reusable products.
- We promote the recycling of used packaging around the world, creating a closed loop by ensuring that as much of this as possible is ultimately reused as packaging.
We comply with international environmental and energy management standards (ISO 14001 and 50001), the ETI Base Code international working standards, and statutory provisions. We are a member of SEDEX (AB status) and have audited many production facilities according to SMETA. We report our annual environmental data via the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) and Ecovadis.
Additional information is also provided in our business principles (https://www.alpla.com/en/capabilities/quality-principle).
Chairman of Company Advisory Board